Saturday, March 20, 2010

"Alice in Wonderland"



This was my first IMAX 3D experience and with that a few words of advice: Do not be late for a popular move as you will have to sit in the second row and watching an IMAX movie that close to the screen is a horrid experience. For me it was migraine inducing and I couldn’t wait for the movie to be over.

Apart from most scenes being blurry due to my proximity to the screen, visually this movie was breath taking. If this movie earned bonus points for visuals, it lost them in story line. I am not very familiar with the original but the movie story line was bare, overly simplistic, predictable and simply boring.

I don’t usually read reviews prior to seeing a movie, and made the mistake of doing so prior to seeing Alice. One aspect that struck me was reviewers’ opinion of Mia Wasikowska’s acting as emotionless. While watching the movie I couldn’t help myself, but focus on her emotionless face and think that she could have done wonders with this role.




On the other hand, Johnny Depp’s mad hatter was simply lovable and made me want to give him a giant hug. Those giant colorful eyes were magical. And the Red Queen's insecure madness was extremely well played, leaving me to feel sorry for her poor soul.



Over all I give it 3/5 lip balms. Yes go see it, but sit in the back!

No comments: