Sunday, June 07, 2009

Another productive weekend!

On Friday I checked the online paper for Garage sales in my area and believe it or not I was up at 8am on Saturday in order to venture out and find some goodies before someone else snatched them up.

Here is what I ended up with for $24 !!!

1st ever garage sale expedition

My favourites are the TV tray and suitcase!

The idea behind this little trip was to find some way to display my earrings at the upcoming Big on Bloor craft show. I didn't think that my couch cushions will really cut it for another year.

Here is what I did

Step 1: Found a very large wooden frame for all of $3, I paid $5 for the frame and suitcase!
Step 1 New Earring Display

Step 2: Tear apart the frame and remove the painting, glass and backing. Here is where I warn you to make sure you are careful and have a tetanus shot as the staples can be very old and dangerous as they may fly in the air...

Step 2 New Earring Display

Step 3: Apply at least 2 coats of latex paint, I purchased a tester can from the hardware store for $6 in Cocoa Mousse.

Step 3 New Earring Display

*** Very important, let the paint dry. I don't have patience and well I was covered in paint. Also cover up the surface you are working on as paint likes to drip and also fly in the air***

Step4: Use thumb tacks to attach window mesh and cardboard to the frame. Also do not try to use your thumb to push in the thumb tacks it will hurt, find a hammer. In my case call one of your best friends and ask if her dad has an extra one kicking around. Also it was hard keeping my cat from helping, that's his thumb in the picture.
Step 4 New Earring Display

And here is what I now have

Finished Earring Display!!!

A super cool about $10 earring display.
I just finished putting a second coat of paint on a smaller frame that will be used for the same purpose.

No comments: